Monday, August 07, 2006

This weekend was my 10 year high school reunion. It was quite possibly one of the coolest experiences of my life. And I mean that in a non 'My So Called Life' kinda way.
High school graduation was blah and we all couldn't can't wait to get to college and out in the 'real world' and leave all that little kid bull poo behind. I remember thinking that it was going to be 2006 before I saw some of the people that I had spent a good part of my life with (At least I learned some basic math-ha) and that night, it seemed like a million miles away.
When all of the talk about the reunion started a few months ago, I was reluctant to go because I pretty much hang out with all of the people that I care to see in present day time. Don't get me wrong, I like catching up with old friends, but not all at once. It gives me a headache. When my childhood friend Andrea called begging me to go, I respectfully declined. When letters about scrap books and updated info came to my mailbox, I threw them away…and on Friday as I sat at my desk waiting for the 5:00 hour, emails were pouring in about who was coming and who was not and still I wanted nothing to do with it. (I'm a bit of a hard head).
My brother in law-whom I hadn't seen in a while-was coming home this weekend and my boyfriend was making the journey to Hot Springs with me so I had 2 good reasons not to go. But then, I found out that the brother in law was only here for a few hours, and that the boyfriend actually wanted to go. Damn it.
I was kinda nervous at first because I wanted to be the girl with cute hair and fun accessories. I walked into the kitchen, asked my dad, 'if you hadn't seen me in 10 years, would you think I looked hot??' he said, 'well, you do look 10 years older'. Thanks Dad : ).
We get to the restaurant and as soon as I open the door, I'm greeted by old familiar faces with smiles and hugs to give out. It's a little cheesy at first but after a few beers, everyone had a blast. We laughed and brought up embarrassing stories about breaking car windows and not knowing that you are suppose to close the lid on a tanning bed. Old classmates introduced me to their husbands and wives and proudly showed pictures of the rugrats. It was nice to catch up and see folks that you had forgotten about and who had forgotten about you, and to see who put on a few pounds and who had thinning hair. I kept thinking about what I had said a year ago: 'if I have a kick ass job and a cute boy, then I'll go'. And while I did not think about this until after the reunion, this was not my concern anymore, while I do have a kick ass job and a super cute boy who I'm crazy about, it didn't matter. I got to be a kid again, surrounded by people who I grew up with. Only this time, we could have some beer : )

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I skipped my High School reunion. Most of them have seen me in the news and I'd just rather avoid all the questions and stares.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way, i was aquitted.

10:54 PM  
Blogger birdie said...

ah, duckie. such the kidder.
*cough*

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home