Tuesday, July 25, 2006

There was a movie that came out a few years ago called "The Wedding Planner". Not only am I little embarrassed to say that I've seen this movie numerous times, but more so of the fact that I own it (I swear it's just to see the part where he almosts wrecks and blames it on the 'damn deer in the road'). This of course, is beside the point.
There was a scene where the main character was yelling at her father saying that she did not want an arranged marriage. Her father then preceeds to tell her that he and her mother had an arranged marriage and how at first they didn't want anything to do w/ one another but they began to respect one other and then that respect grew to like and like grew into love.
I have always said that I believe that I would be open to the idea of arranged marriages.
If I lived back in the day, not that I would know the difference, but I would be okay with Ivan and Carol scooping out my hubby. I love my parents and although we may not agree on certain types of music or food or even how the furniture should be arranged, they know me and who I am and I think that if a young man's family came along and wanted my hand in marriage in exchange for a hefty amount of corn or a prize goat, my parents would honor that with my best intentions in mind. Plus, it would be hella cool knowing who I was to end up with right from the beginning and to not have to date a whole bunch of village idiots to get to the right one.
I've shared this concept w/ several people and have gotten mixed reactions. Some get angry and say "no" right away because they want to be the ones to decide who they end up with and they would never trust their parents. Others, completely agree w/ me in the idea that it's just straight up tiring sometimes to date and what the heck? Bring on the neighbor girl/guy that you grew up in the tribe with.
Don't get me wrong, although my heart has been broken a time or two, I really do enjoy dating...especially when you find someone who's funny and smarter than you (in some areas) and even opens car doors and pays for stuff! : )
It's nice to experience and to get to know different people and to see what we want out of our relationships and love. We learn how to treat people and more importantly how we want to be treated. That's a lesson that no amount of corn can trade I suppose.

1 Comments:

Blogger birdie said...

my fingers are very tired and i think they should rest. could be due to my wine excesses but hey, no judging, i support me.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home